This week we have been working on the formulas of speed, and how they apply to real life. The last few days, we have been racing toy wind-up cars to calculate the average of their speed. All we had to do was divide the distance the car traveled by how many seconds it took to get there. For example, if it traveled 200 centimeters in 4 seconds, the speed would be 50 centimeters per second. We would do this in three trials, and in order to find the average speed, we added all of the distances and the speeds together and divided them. After that, we compared the speeds to different cars, and what effected the speed. My group found out that the farther back you pull the car, the farther forward it will go. Also, by applying a forced push to the car it makes the speed excel. Previously, we were also learning about the formula of velocity which I found out more information on the website ahead. Over all, I thought that having a hands on activity like the toy cars was a great way to learn and study speed formulas. I feel that we should do more activities like this one in the future.
I found info on speed and velocity formulas on... http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/CLASS/1DKin/U1L1d.html
Thursday, April 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment